Trainee Advocate | Isle of Man
Who are we?
As one of the world’s largest providers of offshore legal advice and services, a career at Appleby offers you the opportunity to work with some of the most highly respected practitioners in the offshore world and work on some of the most interesting and challenging offshore transactions and cases.
Why Join us?
Appleby's strength and success depends on our commitment to recruit and develop people from the communities in which we operate. Our culture is enabling, supportive and meritocratic. Our relationships are based on fairness, dignity and respect.
We are interested in people with the drive and ability to flourish in a highly professional and friendly environment. We are committed to providing the highest level of client satisfaction and want to ensure we have the best team to deliver this.
We are looking for Trainees to start in September 2017 and September 2018.
With Appleby, you will undertake a dedicated training programme (traditionally referred to as your Articles of Clerkship or Articles) aimed at developing the skills required to undertake and pass the Manx Bar exams and perform a Trainee Advocate role. You will be required to take and pass all of the Manx Bar exams within a two year period, as required by the Isle of Man Law Society.
Holding a Legal Practice Course (LPC) or equivalent is a prerequisite to becoming a Manx Advocate, therefore you will either be undertaking your LPC now, or will be in your final year of your law degree (or Graduate Diploma in Law) and planning on commencing your LPC immediately afterwards.
In addition, you will have:
- an excellent academic record
- a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and experience of working with document management and time recording systems
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, incorporating first-rate organisational, reasoning and presentation skills
- a demonstrated ability to establish prorities and organise work assignments
- commercial awareness and financial discipline
- the ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment, both within the Isle of Man office and globally across the Appleby Group
If this sounds like you, and you have the prerequisite qualifications, please click 'Apply online'
to send in your CV and covering letter, or click 'Download full job description' for further details on the career path and requirements to become a Manx Advocate.
Alternatively, please contact Lynda Smith
, HR Manager, for further information.